The motherboard is the main part of a computer which is also termed as ‘Main Board’. It is the base of any computer or in simple words, it is itself a computer. Best Mini ITX Motherboards, The motherboard is an electronic circuit board that has many different parts like processor installation socket, expansion slots of different types including DIMM slots, PCI, PCIe, and different other types of slots. Different ports are also part of these motherboards for the connectivity of Storage drives and other peripheral devices like printers, scanners. Computer casings are also designed according to their motherboard.
Function of Motherboard
The Motherboard of the computer is a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) which is the center for the connectivity of all components. After getting attached to the motherboard of the computer, all devices become able to transfer data. Any device, input, output, or any other, cannot work or use without attaching with the motherboard. Simply, the motherboard is a central connectivity point for all devices and the backbone for their internal communication.
Form Factors of Motherboard
Form factors are different types of motherboard designs that are used in different computers. For desktop computers, ATX is the most common form factor which is the advancement of IBM’s AT form factor. This advancement is done by Intel which is then labeled as ATX from AT.
Mainly there are three form factors of computer motherboards which are developed according to different requirements like gaming and others. These three form factors are:
After these main types, their subtypes include Mini and Microarchitecture but ITX is only the form factor that has its Nano version also specially designed for mobiles.
The word ‘ITX’ is the abbreviation of “Information Technology eXtended”. ITX is a small-sized form factor of motherboards. Due to its very compact size, these motherboards are also considered as the best option to use in low-cost setups like cars, network devices, and other small computers like these. ITX has 4 different variants according to different sizes. These 4 are:
Mini-ITX motherboard form factor is just like traditional motherboards having memory slots, PCI Express slots, and multiple USB ports along with a network port. The power consumption of these motherboards is very low as up to even 5 watts also.
In Nano-ITX legacy, ports are removed and are replaced with mini-PCI and SODIMM while the Pico-ITX motherboard is 75% smaller than Mini-ITX. Pico-ITX motherboard supports all these CPUs that use VIA NanoBGA2 technology. Mobile-ITX motherboards are the smallest form factor that has no ports related to computers. These boards are specially designed for medical equipment, transportation devices, and military-used devices.
After knowing all the required information about the motherboards, let’s start reviewing Best Mini ITX motherboards.
Top 8 Best Mini ITX Motherboard
1. ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I (MITX)
First of all, one thing is very clear about Asus Rog Strix Z390-I that it is a gaming computer motherboard whose form factor is Mini-ITX. In the name of this motherboard, the character ‘I’ is the representation of the form factor of this motherboard which is ITX while Z390 is the name of its chipset model fixed on this motherboard.
The details about the technical specifications of this motherboard are started from its supported processors. Intel Core processors belonging to the 8th and 9th generation are supported by this motherboard. The power supply type of this mainboard is ATX and it has a 24-pin power connector. Along with this power connector, 2 SATA connectors and USB 3.1 1st generation header are also present to connect these types of devices with this motherboard.
Two slots of DIMM type memory that support high-speed DDR4 RAM chips are given for the installation of system RAM. A commonly used PCIe expansion slot of the 3rd generation is also available on this high-class motherboard. The storage type for this motherboard is the latest and fast in read-write speed. M.2 slots are present under a cover that is not only for designing the motherboard but also for the cooling of the SSD drive installed in this slot. Two M.2 slots are given on this motherboard for extended storage capacity.
ASUS has used the ASP1401CTB PMW (Pulse Width Modulation) power controller. There are a total of six phases are available for the power supply to the CPU while two phases are available for SoC (System on Chip). An average of 45amp power Is supplied to these components which is more than enough for the working of the latest CPUs.
- Designed for 9th and 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with dual M.2, USB 3.1 Gen 2, 802.11ac Wi-Fi and ASUS Opti-MEM II for better DRAM overclocking stability
- Revamped 5-Way Optimization overclocks intelligently based on smart prediction and thermal telemetry while Fan Xpert 4 delivers dynamic system cooling
- Gamer's Guardian ensures longevity with Safe Slot, ESD Guards and DRAM Overcurrent Protection while M.2 double-decker heatsink shrouds the main M.2 slot and provides shared cooling for the M.2 and PCH
- Pre-mounted I/O shield ensures streamlined installation and represents ROG's attention to detail and quality
- Supports HDMI 2.0 with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ / 60 Hz; Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
2. Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Gigabyte is a famous name for the manufacturing of the main components of the computer. The motherboards of Gigabyte are also very attractive for the users due to their upgraded features. X570I Aorus pro is a top-rated mid-range motherboard in the Mini-ITX form factor.
All these features which are required for the popularity of a motherboard are present in this board including price, upgraded features, and high performance. AM4 processor socket is given on this motherboard which accepts AMD CPUs which belongs to the 2nd and 3rd generation of AMD Ryzen CPUs. AMD Ryzen processor with the Radeon Vega graphics controller is also supported by this mainboard. For the installation of system RAM, dual channels are provided which support both ECC (Error Correcting Code) and non-ECC RAMs.
Two M.2 PCIe 4.0 compatible slots are provided for attaching high-speed SSD disk for storage of data. These SSDs are covered with a pre-installed cover for protection and cooling. Along with these, USB 3.1 Type C is also available while wired and wireless network connectivity components are the part of this motherboard for all types of network communication. 4 SATA connectors are also present which also support RAID levels 0, 1, and 10.
Power supplied to the CPU through this motherboard is a direct 8 phase Infineon which is controlled by the digital Voltage Regulator Module (VRM). In modern computers, CPUs and GPUs use VRM to control their power supply and to avoid exceeding their recommended voltage. Extended heatsink and 5W/MK thermal pad are also used on this motherboard.
- Supports AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen/ 2nd Gen Ryzen/ 2nd Gen Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics/ Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics processors
- Dual channel ECC/ non-ECC unbuffered DDR4, 2 DIMMs
- Direct 8 phase infineon digital VRM solution with 70A power stage
- Extended VRM heatsink and 5W/MK thermal pad
- Dual ultra-fast NVMe PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2
3. ASRock B450 Mini ITX
ASRock B450 is another best motherboard in the Mini-ITX form factor. Features of this mainboard are also extended which makes this a perfect mid-range gaming motherboard of the computer. The processor socket of this motherboard is also AM4 and the chipset installed on this motherboard is AMD Promontory B450. This board support 64-bit processors and also 64bit operating system.
For the installation of main memory, 2 slots are provided due to which is called Dual Channel memory. Both ECC and non-ECC un-buffered RAM chips are supported on these dual channels of memory while the maximum capacity of RAM which can install on this motherboard is 32GB.
Two PCI-E slots are available on this motherboard and 4 ports of SATA3 are also given for installation of hard disks and optical drives. These SATA ports support RAID levels 0,1 and 10. Along with RAID, NCQm AHCI and Hot Plug are also supported by these SATA interfaces which mean you can attach or detach any disk without shutting down the computer.
The power supply to the CPU is 8 phase and supports water cooling in different wattage levels.
- Socket AM4, Digi Power design, 8 Power Phase design, Supports 105W Water Cooling (Pinnacle Ridge); Supports 95W Water Cooling (Summit Ridge); Supports 65W Water Cooling (Raven Ridge)
- Chipset: AMD Promontory B450. OS - Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
- Memory: 2x DDR4-3466+(OC)/3200(OC)/2933/2667/2400/2133 DIMM Slots, Dual Channel, ECC, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max Capacity of 32GB (AMD Ryzen series CPUs(Pinnacle Ridge))
- Slots: 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots (one runs at x8)
- SATA: 4x SATA3 Ports, Support RAID 0, 1, 10, NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
4. MSI B450IMini-ITX
MSI is a very famous name for the manufacturing of top-class computers specially designed for graphical and motion video work. Devices of MSI are full in features but are low in price due to which these are easily affordable for users. B450 is also the best motherboard for a perfect gaming computer. In mini-ITX form format, no other motherboard is best than B450 in a low price range.
The type of socket for the installation of the processor is AM4 which supports AMD Ryzen series CPUs that belong to the 1st and 2nd generations of these processors. These Ryzen processors which come with Radeon Vega GPU can also use on this socket.
Dual channels are given for the installation of high-speed RAM up to 32GB. SATA ports are four in number and a single M.2 slot is also present along with these, for the attachment of higher speed SSD. This M.2 slot is without any cooling system. Multiple USB ports are available on this motherboard which allows multiple peripheral devices to connect with this computer at the same time. A total of 5 USB ports are present on this motherboard of which four are USB 3.1 while two are USB 2.0. Wired and wireless network connectivity options are also available on this motherboard.
- Support AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Generation / Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors for Socket AM4
- Supports 32gb dual channel ddr4 memory 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667 MHz by jedec, and 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz by a xmp oc mode
- VR ready: Automatically optimizes your system for VR usage, pushing for maximum performance
- In game weapons: Game boost, gaming hotkey, x boost
- Gaming certified 24 hour on and offline game and motherboard testing by esports players. Form factor: Mini ITX
5. ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I
ASUS ROG Strix X470-I is a mini-ITX form format motherboard in which the installed chipset is the latest than its previous. In previous motherboards of Rog series, Asus has used X370 chipset but in this model, X470 chipset is used and AM4 socket. X470 can support AMD Ryzen processors maximum to 2000 series of these CPUs but this mainboard is the final choice if overclocking is required compulsory.
Along with high-speed memory slots, two M.2 high-speed storage slots are also present for the attachment of high-speed SSDs and to extend the data storage capacity. A Dual-channel MIMO WLAN adapter is also part of this mainboard while a Gigabit speed LAN connection is a bonus. Beautiful LED lighting is available for making this motherboard more attractive. These LED lights are controlled with Aura Sync.
- Powered by AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 and 7th generation Athlon processors to maximize connectivity and speed with dual M.2, USB 3.1 Gen 2, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and Gigabit LAN
- 5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning and FanXpert 4 automatically tailors overclocking profiles to your unique build for maximum OC performance and dynamic system cooling
- Unmatched Personalization with ASUS exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting, RGB 4-pin header and addressable RGB header
- Pre-mounted I/O shield ensures streamlined installation and represents ROG's attention to detail and quality; Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
- Industry-leading 8-channel HD audio with dual headphone amplifiers, LED-Illuminated jacks, and ROG exclusive SupremeFX S1220A codec driven by Japanese capacitors
6. Gigabyte B360N
Gigabyte B360N is also the best motherboard with some variations as compared to its competitors but is very attractive in terms of price. If we compare the features of this motherboard we find them close to Asus Z370 but the price is very less than that.
The socket of this motherboard is changed and it is an 1151 socket that is supported for Intel Core processors of the 8th generation. Two channels for RAM are given and for the storage options; four ports and one M.2 slot of 3rd generation are available that are enough to attach traditional and latest storage units. Wifi and Bluetooth 5.0 are provided for wireless connectivity and four USB 3.1 and two USB 2.0 ports are available on this motherboard for the connectivity of peripheral devices. Additionally, two HDMI ports are also present for a high-class display.
- Socket 1151/Support 8th Gen Intel Core processors
- Dual Channel Non-ECC Buffered DDR4
- New hybrid Digital PWM Design
- Intel Cavil 802. 11ac Wave2 2T2R WIFI
- High quality Audio Capacitors and Audio Noise Guard
7. ASRock B365M-ITX
ASRock B365 motherboard is designed by following the Phantom gaming series. This shows that it is also a perfect motherboard for a gaming computer. The socket which is used for the processor on this motherboard is 1151 which is fully supported for Intel Core processors of 8th and 9th generations. The chipset of this motherboard is B365.
The type of supported RAM on this motherboard is DDR4 which can be used at a maximum of 2666 clock speed. Storage options on this motherboard are very extended and higher in speed. Two ports of M.2 storage are given which has a connection speed of 30Gbps. On the other hand, six ports of SATA are also available on this mainboard each of which has a 6-gigabit speed.
The sound chip on this computer board is ALC-1220 which is from Realtek. Two ports of USB 3.1 2nd generation are present and among these, one is Type-C standard. RGB LEDs are brightening this motherboard and are controlled by polychrome RGB software.
- CPU: LGA1151, Supports 9th/ 8th Generation Intel Core Processors, CPU up to 95W
- Chipset: Intel B365
- Memory: 4x DDR4-2666/ 2400/ 2133 DIMM Slots, Dual Channel, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max Capacity of 64GB
- Slots: 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots (single at x16; dual at x16/ x4), 1x PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slot (Flexible PCIe)
- Multi-Graphics: Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX and CrossFireX Technology
8. ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I
Although this mini-ITX motherboard of ASUS is some older in version but is a perfect best motherboard. At the time of its start it was a high-end motherboard and still today, it is not less than this. Asus Rog Strix B450-I is very rich in features.
CPU socket of this motherboard is all time famous AM4. Two M.2 slots are part of this motherboard for extended and high-speed SSD storage. An extra feature of this mainboard is auto-tuning while Fan Xpert 4 is available for controlling the speed of heat exhaust fans as per requirement and condition. Overclocking and excellent cooling are also enlisted in the features of this motherboard.
All types of network connectivity are provided on this motherboard including Gigabit speed Ethernet and good quality WIFI. All the required USB ports and high-class audio device is also made available by ASUS on this high demanded motherboard.
- Powered by 2nd generation AMD Ryzen AM4 processors to maximize connectivity and speed with dual NVMe M.2, USB 3.1 Gen2, 802.11ac WiFi, gigabit LAN, and up to 32GB of DDR4 (3600 MHz)
- 5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning and Fan Xpert 4 automatically tailors overclocking profiles to your unique build for maximum OC performance and dynamic system cooling
- Aura Sync RGB lighting plus 2 additional RGB headers provide a nearly endless spectrum of colors with the ability to synchronize effects across an ever-expanding ecosystem of enabled products
- M.2 audio combo card raises M.2 drives and SupremeFX audio circuitry to minimize lateral interference
- Industry-leading 8-channel HD audio with the ROG exclusive SupremeFX S1220A driven by Japanese capacitors
After reviewing all these mini-ITX motherboards, you must be able to clearly understand the features of a motherboard. Based on this, you can match your exact requirement with the available product according to your budget.
You can easily decide the best gaming motherboard for you in the mini-ITX form factor. It is my effort to make your search narrow for the best gaming mini-ITX motherboard and hopefully one of these must be according to your requirement. Stay connected and keep commenting.