Being a college student, you must be searching for the best printers for college students. To fulfill your basic needs, you have to buy a printer for printing assignments and other types of stuff. There are many printers available in the market for college students. It totally depends upon your needs, whether a laser printer suits you or an inkjet. Inkjet printers are low-budget and versatile as compared to laser printers while laser printers are faster in speed and more reliable.
Buying the best printer will help you a lot in your studies. You don’t have to go to the internet cafe or other places to print the documents. It will save your time, money, and also stress of getting prints instantly.
The printer that uses too much ink and runs out quickly is not ideal for students because they have to print a large number of pages every day. The connectivity is also a great factor for students. In this article, we have selected some of the best printers for college students.
Buyer’s Guide for best printers for college students:
It is a very important factor when you are buying a printer for your daily basic needs. Good connectivity features will save you time. You have to keep in mind the Wi-Fi and USB input as a minimum option.
One of the most important factors for students is the price. As we all know that students cannot afford expensive printers, so they look for affordable printers. You can also find better options even in low-priced devices, so search for the top brands that produce quality products.
For college students, big and bulky printers are not that much needed. For small and dorm rooms they should look for small and compact printers. Small-size printers can easily fulfill their needs, so buying a large-size printer will be a waste of money.
4- Printing volume:
Printing volume means how much the printer prints in a month. Some printers come with low printing volumes while some have the feature of printing a huge number of pages. Estimate the volume of your monthly printing, then you should buy according to it that will save you money.
1- Brother MFC-J995DW
The Brother MFC J995DW is the best all-in-one device designed for students and home use, but its amazing performance and versatility make it a great choice for all users. It comes with high-yield cartridges to print a huge amount of pages. The printed photos have great detail. The speed of the printer is good. The Brother MFC J995DW is overall a very good and affordable printer for college students.
The Brother MFC J995DW comes with a 2.6 inches touchscreen display. The display can also be tilted for better viewing angles. It has 7.6 inches in height, 17.0 inches in width, 3.3 inches in depth, and 18.1 lbs in weight.
The printer is equipped with an outstanding ink cartridge system. For holding more ink, it comes with the Brother’s investment tank system. It comes with an amazing flatbed scanner, and the scanning resolution is 1200 DPI. It has an auto document feeder but no duplex scanning feature.
The Brother MFC J995DW has a printing speed of 10 ppm for both black and color and takes 49 seconds for photo printing. The printer has a very decent input tray, capable of holding 150 pages. It also supports Auto duplex printing.
Capable of printing various paper sizes including letter (8.5 x 11 inches), legal (8.5 x 14 inches), A6, A4, A5, photo (4 x 6 inches), and photo (5 x 7 inches).
The connectivity features are also brilliant in Brother’s MFC J995DW. What a fabulous printer it is with NFC for fast pairing. Moreover, you can also open the Brother’s app on your smartphone, and it comes with the connectivity of Wi-Fi. Also, it includes Apple Airprint and Mopria services.
- Up to 1 year of ink in box: Using the MFCJ995DW cartridges provided, get exceptional savings and uninterrupted printing for up to 1 year(1)
- Inkvestment tank system: Reengineered ink cartridges hold more ink and work with an internal ink storage tank to deliver uninterrupted printing. Operating System Compatibility- PC-Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7,Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 Mac- OS X v10.11.6, 10.12.x, 10.13.x
- Eliminate ink replacement guesswork: Brother intelligent Page Gauge(2) lets you know the amount of ink you’ve used and the amount remaining
- Mobile device printing: Desktop and mobile device wireless printing using AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Brother and Wi Fi Direct(3)
- For use with brother genuine inks: LC3033: LC3033BK, LC3033C, LC3033M, LC3033Y, LC3035: LC3035BK, LC3035C, LC3035M, LC3035Y
- Supported Network Protocols (IPv6): TFTP Server, HTTP Server, FTP Client, NDP, RA, DNS Resolver, mDNS, LLMNR Responder, LPR/LPD, Custom Raw Port/Port 9100, SMTP Client, SNMPv1/v2c/v3, ICMPv6, LDAP, Web Services (Print/Scan)
2- Canon Pixma TS8220
Canon Pixma TS8220 is one of the best printers for college students due to its affordable price. It is a compact inkjet printer that is designed to fit in small apartments and rooms. It measures 5.8 inches in height, 15.8 inches in width, 14.2 inches in depth, and weighs only 6.4 kg. Canon Pixma TS8220 is a multi-purpose and decent printer that prints photos with vibrant colors.
Canon Pixma TS8220 has a good display console. It comes with a 1.5 inches OLED display screen to read easily and also the display is tiltable for best visibility.
The cartridge system is not so great because it consists of only one color cartridge. You have to replace the cartridge if you are printing a huge number of pages. Due to its flatbed scanner, the scanning is no more an issue for you. It has no duplex scanning and auto document feeder. The scan resolution is a maximum of 1200 DPI, and it can scan 8.5 x 11 inches paper perfectly with a color depth of 24 bits.
The printing cost is very decent, and the speed of the Canon Pixma 8220 is so awesome. It has a speed of 6 ppm for black text documents, 3 PPM for color documents and it takes just 36 seconds to print photos. Duplex printing is automatic and saves your time and paper. The input tray has a nice capacity for holding papers for printing. It holds up to 200 pages that bring convenience to your printing.
You can connect your PC to the printer via USB input. Experience wireless printing through its Wi-Fi option. It has no Ethernet support, but AirPrint and Mopria services are included. Canon print Selphy/inkjet printing application is also available that you can download on both Apple and Android devices.
It supports various printing sizes like a letter, legal, A5, A4, photo (4 x 6) inches, and photo (5 x 7) inches.
- Quickly print detailed documents with sharp black text and stunning photographs with the 6-Color Individual Ink System. With the PIXMA TS8220 all your everyday prints will always look great.
- Print documents and photos using AirPrint, Mopria Print Service, Bluetooth, and the Cloud. Print with IFTTT (IF This Then That) support and use web services/applications to automate printing.
- The PIXMA TS8220 wireless printer is the All-In-One that fits perfectly anywhere in the home with its sleek design, is simple to use, and delivers outstanding quality results every time.
- FOR NUMBERS LISTED IN PRODUCT DESCRIPTION SEE “SPECIFICATION SHEET” IN TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION SECTION BELOW
3- Canon ImageClass MF445DW
The Canon ImageClass MF445Dw is a laser printer designed for students. It is a very good choice for those students who only print black and white documents. Furthermore, this all-in-one laser device is well built and contains an input tray that can hold various paper sizes. It measures 15.5 inches in height, 17.8 inches in width, 18.3 inches in depth, and has 34.4 lbs of weight.
It has the best scanner, quick printing speed, and an amazing cartridge system that prints a huge number of sheets. The built-in design of this printer is outstanding. Removing jammed papers is easy as we have to simply open the back panel of the printer.
Canon ImageClass MF45DW is packed with a 5.0 inches large touchscreen display with three capacitive buttons below. You can also tilt the screen vertically. The visibility of the screen is pretty nice whether the user is standing or sitting.
The cartridge system of the Canon MF445DW is superb. The interesting thing is that it also accepts third-party cartridges. The printer also accepts a high yield 057H black cartridge for increasing the yield. It comes with a flatbed scanner with a scanning resolution of 600 DPI and a scan depth of 24 bits. Supports automatic duplex scanning and also contains an auto document feeder.
Canon MF445Dw has outstanding printing speed. Prints up to 28 PPM (black text documents) and do photo printing in just 6.7 seconds. The input tray of the printer is capable of holding 350 pages. The connectivity options are very brilliant in this device. Contains Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Apple AirPrint, Mopria print services, and USB for convenient connectivity.
The Canon print business mobile app is available for Android and iOS. It supports various print sizes including letters, legal.A6, A5, A4, and also envelopes.
- USABILITY: 5" intuitive, color touchscreen with smartphone-like usability. A unique, customized device experience with Application Library.
- Create Wi-Fi Direct hotspot from the printer to establish direct connection to compatible mobile device(s) without the need for an external router.
- QUALITY AND RELIABILITY: Canon's signature reliability and engine technologies help keep productivity high and minimize the impact on support resources. Intuitive maintenance videos for common tasks like consumables replacement. Designed to achieve maximum uptime with status notifications to help keep supplies replenished.
- WORKFLOW EFFICIENCY: Supports mobile solutions for printing and scanning. Scan and convert documents to searchable digital files through a single-pass duplex document feeder. Designed for small print jobs with first-print time as fast as 5.3 seconds.
- COST EFFICIENCY: Out-of-the-box, standard two-sided printing plus the ability to print multiple pages onto one page helps to reduce paper consumption. Available high-capacity cartridge helps reduce overall supply costs.
- SECURITY: Low risk of confidential information loss, as documents are only stored in short-term memory. Security settings can be set behind an administrator log-in. Verify System at Startup is a process to help verify the validity of the device firmware and Application Library from unauthorized modifications.
- MOBILE-FRIENDLY DEVICE ACCESS: From application-based to cloud-based to device native, the imageCLASS MF445dw model offers a variety of methods for printing from a mobile phone or tablet across iOS and Android devices.
- The Canon PRINT Business application, which supports both platforms, offers access to additional device settings as well as the ability to scan from the printer to a mobile phone or tablet.
4- Epson EcoTank ET2760
The Epson EcoTank ET2760 is a good printer for students. Its super ink tank prints a huge number of pages. The cost per print is outstandingly low for both black and color. It has a 1.5 inches mediocre display screen. The screen is small, but the viewing angles are good. It also has push buttons around the screen.
The printer measures 7.3 inches in height, 14.8 inches in width, 13.6 inches in depth, and weighs 13.0 lbs. EcoTank ET2760 has the best cartridge system and contains high-quality four ink tanks. These tanks can be refilled easily. The black and colored ink tanks print huge amounts of pages before needing to refill ink tanks again.
It comes with a flatbed scanner that has a scanning resolution of 1200 DPI and 24-bit color depth. Unfortunately, it has no auto document feeder and no duplex scanning feature. The flatbed scanner can scan 8.5 x 11 inches of paper.
The Epson EcoTank ET2760 print speed is good. Its printing speed is 8 PPM for black text documents, 4 PPM for color documents. Only takes 93 seconds for photo printing. It supports Duplex printing, and the input tray of the EcoTank ET2760 has the capacity of holding 100 sheets.
It supports various print sizes; letter (8.5 x 11 inches), Legal (8.5 x 14 inches), A6 (105mm x 148mm), A4 (210mm x 297mm), photo (4 x 6) inches, and photo (5 x 7) inches.
You can easily connect various devices with it using Wi-Fi, USB, Apple AirPrint, Mopria services, and an SD card slot. It has no Ethernet feature. The Epson iPrint application is also available, so you can download it on any smartphone.
- Your home needs a printer that’s fast, affordable, easy to use, and has great features. That’s why we developed the EcoTank ET-2760 – an innovative cartridge-free solution that uses high-capacity, easily refillable ink tanks. So you’ll worry less about running out of ink, and save a lot on replacement ink (1). The ET-2760 features outstanding print quality, auto-duplex printing, a high-resolution flatbed scanner, and convenient color display – making it the perfect family printer.
- Innovative Cartridge-Free Printing ― High-capacity ink tanks mean no more tiny, expensive ink cartridges; Epson’s exclusive EcoFit ink bottles make filling easy and worry-free
- Dramatic Savings on Replacement Ink ― Save up to 90% with replacement ink bottles vs. ink cartridges (1) – that’s enough to print up to 7,500 pages black/6,000 color (2), equivalent to about 90 individual ink cartridges (3)
- Stress-Free Printing — Up to 2 years of ink in the box (4) – and with every replacement ink set – for fewer out of ink frustrations
- Zero Cartridge Waste – By using an EcoTank printer, you can help reduce the amount of cartridge waste ending up in landfills
- Impressive Print Quality ― Unique PrecisionCore Heat-Free Technology and Claria ET pigment black ink produce extremely sharp text – plus impressive color photos and graphics – on virtually any paper type
- Built-in Scanner and Copier, Plus Auto 2-sided Printing ― High-resolution flatbed scanner and a color display for easy document copying and navigation; paper-saving auto 2-sided printing
- Modern Connectivity ― Features wireless, plus hands-free voice-activated printing (5). Easily print from your smart device (7) with the intuitive Epson Smart Panel App (6)
- Designed for Reliability ― Worry-free 2-year limited warranty with registration (8), including full unit replacement
5- Canon Pixma TS5320
The Canon Pixma TS5320 is a good choice for students. It is a multi-purpose printer that prints great quality photos with vibrant colors. The key feature of this printer is its connectivity and smartphone application through which you can perform many tasks by simply using your phone. Moreover, it comes with a 1.44 inches display screen. The OLED display allows a faster selection of settings.
Due to its compact and small size, you can easily fit it in any place. So, if you want to buy a printer for your small office, then this will be the perfect one for you. Not only is it compact but also features four-color inks including, white, black, pink, and green. Enjoy the fabulous printing in vivid and bright colors. Through the hybrid ink system, you get outstanding prints and excellent photos.
It has the feature of scanning as it is equipped with a flatbed scanner. The things it lacks are; Duplex scanning and an Auto document feeder. It has a mediocre scanning feature. The speed of the Canon Pixma TS5320 is quite faster. With the feature of Duplex printing, it performs two sides printing easily.
The printer also supports borderless photo printing. It produces great quality prints. You can print on various paper sizes including letter, legal, A4, A5, photo (4 x 6 inches), and photo (5 x 7 inches).
The connectivity options are truly amazing. For easy connectivity, you can use USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Apple Airprint, and Mopria service. Furthermore, you can also print, copy, and scan directly through the Canon print application.
- Canon PIXMA TS5320 Wireless All-in-One Printer - Setup CD-ROM - PG-240 Black Ink Tank - CLI-241 Color Ink Tank - GP-701 Photo Paper Plus Glossy II Sample Pack (4 x 6" - 3 Sheets) - Power Cord - Canon Limited 1-Year Warranty with InstantExchange Program.
- With a 1.44" OLED DISPLAY & LED STATUS BAR easily see an
- COMPACT & STYLISH DESIGN that fits your space and personality
- Great print quality from 2 FINE CARTRIDGES and a HYBRID INK SYSTEM.
- Using the CANON PRINT APP conveniently print from and scan to your favorite mobile devices.
In this article, we have discussed some of the best printers for college students. Our recommended printers are what we think are the best with respect to price, speed, connectivity, feedback, and availability.
Choosing a printer for your basic needs is somehow difficult as there are so many choices available. We have mentioned these printers by keeping in mind the price range as the students cannot afford expensive ones. But everyone wants a better printer, so we did a lot of research and came up with the above phenomenal printers. Hope this article will help college students to select an appropriate printer for them.