How to fix your laptop power jack without soldering? Besides cellphones, laptops are another most used product in our life. When used on a daily basis for a longer period and also carried along with you at different places, there comes a time when you face different problems in your product. It is always not a technician who should be called, some problems have easy solutions so that you can fix them on your own in no time and cost. Because a laptop or notebook computer that goes on many business trips also needs to be plugged in and unplugged regularly, the power adapter and cables may suffer over time.
If you notice damage to your notebook’s power adapter or cables, it is a recommendation to look over it as soon as possible. If your laptop is only detecting charging with rotating the charging pin or bending either one side or even not detecting at all, it might be happening due to the faulty charger cable, connector, or dc jack, the power jack inside your laptop is sitting loose or it broke off completely, you’ll need to fix it somehow.
Objects required for Fixing Laptop Power Jack:
- Generic AC adaptor package with attachments. All the attachments must be compatible with your laptop in terms of size and other relevant factors.
- Zip ties
- Empty sharpie barrel/ Empty highlighter barrel. If the markers work, please don’t waste it.
- Electric tape
- Laptop’s AC tools:
- Solder iron
- Wire stripper
- Hole maker
Barrel with 2 holes:
The 2 holes barrel isn’t necessary but to hide soldering wires with tape on it because aesthetically the cluster of wires won’t look decent at all.
Steps to prepare the barrel.
- In step one, the ink holder and the tip of the marker is to be removed
- Make a hole on the other side of the barrel and proceed to the next step
- Cut the Laptop Cord and you will be done with this part
Moving on to prepping the cord
- First of all, cut the cord to the required length. In order to make sure that you can solder to the original laptop cord you must have sufficient length of cord.
- Insert the cord in the barrel that you have prepared earlier in the process.
- Strip the wires to expose them
Laptop AC Adapter
- The loose plug to be replaced with be cut
- Insert the cord in the tip part of the barrel
- Strip the wires to expose them to be used
Join the laptop cords to fix the power jack
- Check the AC adapter that it should show a sketch there what the polarity is. The outer conductor of the plug must be negative and the core of the plug must be positive.
- With all the precautions, plug in your laptop’s AC adapter making sure that the exposed wires do not touch. Keep a check on which wire is positive and which is negative.
- Take the generic plug and see to which wire is connected to the plug conductor on the outer side and on the inner side. Meanwhile, it is better to note this all down.
- Have a look at your notes and match which wires connect to what.
- Start soldering the inner part of the wire.
- With the help of a tape that could be an electric one, the soldered connection made first should be covered.
- Then the last pair of wires will be soldered. Protect them by wrapping an electrical tape on it.
Sealing the barrel
First of all, before sealing the barrel, make sure that the connections are protected. For that purpose, add zip ties on both ends of the soldered sections. The reason behind it is that if someone pulls it by chance, zip ties will prevent the wires from disconnecting. So with zip ties in place, the barrel gets sealed.
Just by working step by step, you will get the AC power jack fixed without taking any sort of risk and without much use of complex soldering process. Here and there, power jack issue causes because of a flawed battery, yet in all actuality, it is actually a messed up nail to the force jack, a wrecked wire in the connector plug, or a broken connector wire.
The copper track that is placed on the motherboard can break as well as it is not important that the pin breaks always. It might come off the PCB and then break. In such cases, remove the protective layer of the PCB in order to expose the copper for proper soldering.
Join the two tracks with each other with the help of a short piece of wire Sometimes, it gets hard to restore the track near the power jack, so for that connect the track on the PCB to the pin of the power jack where it was originally connected. In most of the cases, this is the central pin.
To make the pins strong and prevent them from future breaks, use any good quality adhesive compound or strong glue that can adhere to plastic and metal together.
The wires inside the plug may break and apart from that the power adapter may also break causing a lot of damage. In this case, there is no other solution than to change the power adaptor. It is possible to join a replacement plug on the wire, but it is quite difficult to find the correct plug that fits with the wire.
All the useful tips and tricks are mentioned above with all the necessary precautions. If these are followed step by step, you can repair this problem within no time.
We would like to know if you face any kind of problem. Our customers are very valuable to us and we would like to hear your comments. Hopefully, this article would be helpful.